Subject: VAX 6620 Support?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Bent <hbent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/27/2001 23:03:35
Hi all,

Please reply to my personal email address on this one - I'm not subscribed
to the list.

There's a VAX 6620 at my college that I'm pretty sure is headed for parts
unknown - but NOT the dumpster unfortunately.  Anyhow, I think the school
would be keen on donating it to the local Linux/FreeOS group if I could
prove that it was able to run NetBSD.  Is there any chance of this
happening within a reasonable timeframe?  I know there was a post a while
back stating that multiprocessor support had been instated and that it
would be easy to port NetBSD/vax to the 6000 series, but has anyone tried
it?  If not, what sort of work would be necessary?  I'm not even sure what
CPUs this system has given its lack of documentation in the Hardware
Reference.  All I'm really looking for is the ability to get it to a
single-user prompt to demonstrate basic functionality, but as always
anything more would be nice :-)

Thanks in advance!

-Henry Bent
hbent@oberlin.edu