Subject: RE: Read carefully :-)
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Shengchao Li <lish@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/21/2001 15:52:46
On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On September 21, Carlini, Antonio wrote:
> > 	>	RC stands for Reduced Configuration - DEC took a standard
> > uVaxII
> > 	>	and poured resin into half the Q-bus slots, stuck a new
> > badge on
> > 	>	the front and sold it for less... and then was surprised
> > when
> > 	>	there was a rush on replacement Q-bus backplanes...
> >
> > 	There was even at least one company
> > 	(here in the UK) that would somehow remove
> > 	the resin and give you back your full
> > 	Qbus.
>
>   I'd sure like to know how they did it.  I tried heat, acid...you
> name it.  Nothing worked. :-(

from kdict:

Resin \Res"in\ (r?z"?n), n. [F. r['e]sine, L. resina; cf. Gr.
   "rhti`nh Cf. Rosin.]
   Any one of a class of yellowish brown solid inflammable
   substances, of vegetable origin, which are nonconductors of
   electricity, have a vitreous fracture, and are soluble in
   ether, alcohol, and essential oils, but not in water;
   specif., pine resin (see Rosin).