Subject: Re: Read carefully :-)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/21/2001 18:08:52
On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:

> So has anyone else seen Ebay item #1276930331 ? I was interested because I
> have never heard of a MicroVAX II/RC. Turns out if you look at the pictures
> there is a PDP-11 CPU in there (looks like the 11/73). Now, that makes it
> less interesting, but now take a closer look at the picture of the cards...
> Hmmm a Q-bus card with "CMD" on it and a 50 pin ribbon cable connected to a
> SCSI drive.

	RC stands for Reduced Configuration - DEC took a standard uVaxII
	and poured resin into half the Q-bus slots, stuck a new badge on
	the front and sold it for less... and then was surprised when
	there was a rush on replacement Q-bus backplanes...

> Anyway, now that the 'cat' is out of the bag I expect one of the dealers
> reading this list will bid it up way over $100. However, it serves as a
> good example of closer inspection being a valuable tool. (and yes, I bid on
> it but no I don't think I'll take it any higher.)

	:)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --