Subject: Coincidence? and 4000/96 success (sort of)
To: None <PORT-VAX@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/19/2001 16:28:31
My trusty pre-production (serial number MLO4600026) 4000/60 has just died
the death of things that die that way. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), it
was in the middle of booting NetBSD from hard disk for the first time. I
had just installed from CD, booted from hard disk, and gotten to just after
the file system checks when it told me there was a parity error on the SCSI
bus. Since then, the SCSI bus has been unusable; if there is anything
plugged into the bus, the power-on self-test fails. The machine has served
me faithfully since before the model was announced, so I'm loathe to chalk
it up to coincidence. I don't suppose anyone has successfully run NetBSD on
a 4000/60 of this vintage?

I took the hard disk over to my 4000/96, and it booted successfully.
HOwever, the machine now reports the "?? 000   8      SYS   0512" error
reported by 4000/90 users. No, I was not prepared to snap the ROM on this
system before booting NetBSD, so I cannot now look to see if it's changed.

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu