Subject: Re: Cannot compile -current GENERIC kernel on vax
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/16/2001 12:12:35
Sorry to be so far behind in mail...

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Anders Magnusson wrote:
>
> > > According to Attic/if_uba.[ch], their current status are "Exp" (not "dead"),
> > > so I guess ragge re-add'ed them.  After just moving them to
> > > /cvsroot/syssrc/sys/dev/qbus (in my local repository copy) things go well.
> > >
> > That's the simple way to do it, but I don't have write permissions
> > to the repository. cvs runs suid.
>
> What did you do to get it the way it is? I've re-activated files
> before, and all you have to do is get the file into the directory,
> then "cvs add", and "cvs commit".

I ran into this recently with the ucd-snmp-current package.

The problem is that Ragge had a checked-out copy of the source which he'd
modified. Then someone deleted the file, then Ragge did a cvs checkin. cvs
quite happily re-activated the files, but it left the ,v files in the
Attic. It probably should have had you add the file before the checkin but
it didn't.

I sent this in as a bug case to the CVS folks. A way to reproduce is:

for some file which has been deleted, cvs checkout -r <before_it_died>;
modify the file so cvs diff shows changes; cvs update -A; cvs checkin

Take care,

Bill