Subject: Re: VAX 8650 ...
To: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/11/2001 13:44:10
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Carlini, Antonio wrote:

> They say this one came with their building :-)

It could happen. :-)

> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1625704207
>
> It's not a VAX 6000 but it would be cool to
> own (and it might even be supported by
> NetBSD).

It is, though the support is probably a bit rusty by now, since Ludd's
8600 have gone to heaven. However, I have an 8650 running Ultrix here
right now, which should soon be turned over to NetBSD development...

If someone really would want to do a good deed, they'd call this machine
it, and rescue the cards. I'd pay shipping if neccesary (along with the
bid, if the prices don't go silly).

A piece of advice to anyone who think about really running this machine:
It *does* need true 3-phase power. The fans blow *lots* of air, which is
needed, since the machine is in ECL. The fans are also 3-phase motors. So
don't think about switching to anything weaker.
The word ECL should also be a good hint about the power consuption
(and cooling) needed. :-)

However, if someone really have the resources to run this machine, I'd be
happy to help you out! One more 8650 live would be wonderful.

Oh, and yes. Shipping can be a problem. It should also have a second
cabinet not shown in those pictures. This cabinet sits to the left side
(looking at the front), and holds the power supply, the Unibus box for the
first Unibus, and the Q-bus for the front-end, and also an RL02 for the
front end.

	Johnny