Subject: vt100-aa info
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/10/2001 13:22:16
I had the fortune today (dunno yet whether it was good, bad, or ugly)
to pick up a genuine DEC VT-100-AA for fiver buckeroos de realme, at
the Friday Friendly Feeding Frenzy Fracas.  I figured I would use it
on my antique VAXentoyz, like the MVIIs.  Is there anything I need to
remember about using a real (not emulated) VT100 as regards to operating,
cabling, etc?  I am assuming the BC08 cable will probably do on the MVII?

Any powerup/sequencing things to remember?  I have heard horror stories
about blowing rs232 ports on some of the early DEC stuff if power down
incorrectly.

Anyone know of any real online docs for the VT100-AA?  Back when I was
really running terminals, for real, we used dumb cheapo things like
adm3's or beehives, and could not afford real DEC stuff.  Now that I
have the real McCoy, a real manual might be fun to read, too.

Retrocomputing is fun, the second time around.....(:+}}...
A VT100 on a VAX ought to draw some real dumb looks from the
PeeCee crowd around here.....(:+}}... really!

Thanks

Bob