Subject: Re: My VS2000
To: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/10/2001 11:36:51
> I was wondering if you would share your opinions with me about what would
> run better for me on my 12meg 60mHdd VS2000 - VMS or Ultrix?  Keep in mind
> I am a Unix nut, but wouldn't mind learning VMS.  Don't know exactly how I
> would get VMS to tape though.  I also *really* want it to be Y2K compliant
> with the dates.  NetBSD just isn't gonna do it on this one.  I also have
> another VS2000 with 8megs of ram and no HDD, and an MVIII with 16megs and
> maybe 70meg HDD (net boots to NetBSD well but would like a
> "local" OS).  Dang tuff to find *working* MFM drives around me and any
> kind of shipping/moving them kills them dead AFAIC.

I would say go Ultrix 2.0, and see if the update to date.c can be compiled
on it for basic Y2K use.

Someone on ebay had 5 sets of mv2 Ultrix 1.2, but I dunno if that
early a version supports the MV2000.

It will be hard to fit much of anything in 70mb.  One of the RD54's
would do, though.  I had Ultrix 4.2 up on one of those drives on an
MVII.  It was too tight, so I opted back for Ultrix 2.0.  That was
more comfy.

Can anyone refresh my ram as to which version of NetBSD is the earliest
to support the MV2000?

Bob