Subject: Re: DSSI Terminator
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/05/2001 14:25:12
On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 11:30:18AM -0700, Chuck McManis wrote:
> I just recently got the DEC storage handbook and it says that not having a
> terminator may cause data loss but having multiple terminators (other than
> at each end of the bus) will cause _damage_. (not sure how, perhaps the
> drivers pull too much current in that case.)
>
> I had a 3800 that I was running sans terminator (2 x RF72, 1 RF71) that
> worked fine. Another list member sent me a terminator and I've used it
> since but like I said, it didn't kill it.

my VAX 4000/300 will absolutely refuse to boot into the chevron if there isn't
at the very least one terminator on the second DSSI bus.  the first bus is
terminated on the mobo, so it looks like it needs SOMETHING, maybe a drive
would work?  beats me.  that's weird though, i wouldn't expect it to behave
like that.

-brian