Subject: Re: DSSI Terminator
To: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/05/2001 11:30:18
I just recently got the DEC storage handbook and it says that not having a
terminator may cause data loss but having multiple terminators (other than
at each end of the bus) will cause _damage_. (not sure how, perhaps the
drivers pull too much current in that case.)

I had a 3800 that I was running sans terminator (2 x RF72, 1 RF71) that
worked fine. Another list member sent me a terminator and I've used it
since but like I said, it didn't kill it.

The DSSI boxen I picked up recently had one terminator among them (out of 3
required) so that was kind of a pain.

If I find a couple in the boxes I'm sorting I'll send you one.
--Chuck