Subject: Re: Questions about VAX 11/78x
To: Tim Crawley <timc@lexicon.net>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/2001 23:52:42
Tim Crawley wrote:

> The UNIBUS cabinet just seems to tidy up a lot of cabling, it can  also
> contain a second BA11-K.

I would certainly love to have the original cabinet with the matching
blue stripe, but they are even more likely to have gone into the
press by now, probably. I'll watch out for the BA11-K and will do
some rackmount trick, or may be in another enclosure instead of an
RA8x (that I really don't think I want.)

> As far as the UNSBUS in my 11/785, I have a DEUNA Ethernet, SCSI Tape
> Controller and serial cards (can't remember part numbers of hand).

Anything SCSI seems like utterly unaffordable for the VAX, whatever
bus it is, ebay prices simply skyrocket on every VAX SCSI adapter.
So, I'll do without. Leaves me with DEUNA, a whole bus for one
card! I won't cry if I don't get it

> MASSBUS I am not to sure of, but it is a CARD BUS, similar backplane
> to the SBI. Yes, used mainly for storage. I have a MASSBUS disk
> controller. I would love a RMxx drive or 2!

Ohmygawd, yet another card bus! Where is that physically located? Yet
another cabinet? What is the list of cards one can stick into the
MASSBUS?

thank you,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine