Subject: Questions about VAX 11/78x
To: None <classiccmp@classiccmp.com, port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/01/2001 00:35:54
Hi,

can someone give me a quick roadmap on what's where in an 11/78x?
Has someone done a web site about it? I have only vague knowledge
gathered from bits and pieces. Anyone scanned a hardware manual or
user manual? (BTW: what's that official place where the DECUS scans
can be found?)

I gather there is the SBI, the MASSBUS and the UNIBUS. I also
gather that the SBI must be pretty big because the KA78x comes
in many separate cards. Here is what I have:

L0101-K		IPB	CI control and packet buffer
L0102-D		IDP	CI data path module
L0104-C		ISI	CI SBI interface
L0118			???
M7459-B1	TRS	terminator and silo module
M7460-D2	SBL	SBI interface low bits
M7461-C1	SBH	SBI interface high bits
M7462-B2	CAM	cache address matrix
M7463-B1	CDM	cache data matrix
M7464-B2	TBM	translation buffer
M7465-C2	IDP	instruction and data path
M7466-B2	IRC	instruction decode
M7467-A2	DBP	data path 'B'
M7468-YA	DEP	data path 'E'
M7469-A2	DDP	data path 'D'
M7470-YA	DCP	data path 'C'
M7471-YA	DAP	data path 'A'
M7472-C2	CEH	condition codes high bit
M7473-B1	ICL	interrupts and condition codes low bits
M7474-B2	CLK	CPU clock module
M7475		JCS	joint control store
M7475-B		JCS	joint control store
M7476-B1	USC	micro sequencer
M7477-D2	CIB	console interface
M7540-D1	FNM	FP fraction normalize
M7541-E1	FMH	FP fraction multiply high
M7542-B1	FML	FP fraction multiplpy low
M7543-A1	FAD	FP fraction adder
M7544-D3	FCT	FP access control
M8270-D  (x2)	USI	Unibus adapter SBI interface
M8271-E  (x2)	UCB	Unibus adapter micro control store
M8272-D  (x2)	UMD	Unibus adapter map and data path
M8273-C  (x2)	UAI	Unibus adapter address interface
M8373-AJ (x6)	MS780-E	1MB memory module
M8373-AP (x8)	MS780-E	1MB memory module
M8373-B  (x2)	MS780-E	1MB memory module
M8375-D1 (x2)	MS780-E	memory controller
M8376-E1	MS780-E	SBI interface

Are those all SBI cards??? Is this why the cabinet is so large,
all SBI cards? Is the SBI one backplane / card cage or multoples?

What about the MASSBUS? Is there a MASSBUS backplane in the base
11/78x enclosure? Isn't there an SBI to MASSBUS adapter set, seems
like it's not in my list? I do have the UNIBUS adapter cards, so
is there a UNIBUS back plane in the same enclosure? I have heard
that the UNIBUS is a separate cabinet? Which one of the ones you
usually see in pictures is it? (The one with the two RA81 drawers
or the one with the 9-track tape?) What if one wants UNIBUS cards
(e.g. Ethernet) but has no UNIBUS enclosure? Can the backplane
be transplanted into the main cabinet?

Excuse all those silly questions, but I'm flying completely blind
here.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine