Subject: Re: Did a dumb thing today -- picked up a 5 buck MV2000....
To: Dennis Grevenstein <dennis@pcde.inka.de>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/30/2001 11:14:27
> > Although it was nearly a decade ago, we did not attempt to run Ultrix 4
> > in production on smaller VAXen because 4 required so much more in terms of
> > resources (e.g. on uVAX2's and VS2000's).  We stuck with Utlrix 3.5 I think.
>
> I have a uVAX II running Ultrix 4.1. I can't say it's slower than
> 3.0. If you really want to run Ultrix take a 4.X release.
> Otherwise you will have problems compiling GNU software.

But the problem on the VS2000 is that the drives are not big enough.
Remember the mfm drives are relatively tiny.  4.x will not fit well.
On the MVII boxes with esdi or scsi drives, the later is better.

Besides, for me it is mostly a dinosaur toy, so I should opt for
the earliest software suite that will run on the VS2000.
Anyone know of a 4.3BSD suite for the VS2000?  Will Ultrix 2.0
work on it?  I will have to dig through the tapes.

Anyway, I got the 40mb drive reformatted over the weekend, and
will see if I can get a 2.0 boot tape to run it up.  The machine
turned out to have only 6mb ram.

Are there any strange things about swapping the RD54 out of the MVII
crate, Ultrix already installed, and dropping that into the VS2000
crate?  That would give me a 120mb drive, as opposed to the 40mb
thing.

Thanks

Bob