Subject: Re: my latest haul (and QBus questions)
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/22/2001 00:20:43
hello

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:

> Thats because the CQD card is being a tape controller too. Which is cool
> because it means that it is a "TM" model (both disk and tape emulation) and
> I don't care what isildur says, being able to talk to a SCSI tape is a darn
> useful thing on a VAX. :-)

oh, it is, i know. i have a cqd223 for tapes, and a 423 for the disks..
*grin*
i meant that, those boards can only do either tape or disk, but not both
at once, and i consider disk more useful than tape if i only can have
one of them.

> >other than that, the CMS card also has an MMJ connector on it, what the heck
> >is that for?
>
> So you can talk to it of course! You can use the D/P/L stuff from the
> monitor or you can just plug your terminal into that MMJ on the card, hit
> return, and start configuring drives. Its really quite nice. That's one of
> the reasons folks really appreciate them.

yes, this is _really_ handy. :)

> >well, off to try and boot a VMS cd on this thing and get 7.2 on my cluster.
>
> First rejumper it so that it starts its TMSCP emulation at the second tape
> device. That will keep the qbus happy otherwise the tqk70 and the cmd will
> argue with each other :-)

yup :)
 well, it's a pretty short argument.. whoever's closer will win.. :)

happy hacking,
isildur