Subject: Re: VAXstation 4000/60 memory?
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/25/2001 18:38:29
Hi !

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> > I tried some spare memory modules from my Personal DECstation in my
> > VAXstation 3100/76 a while ago
> The DECsystem 5100 is a system of its own. Do not mix it up with the
> DECstation 5000/1xx machines.

Is the 5100 different to the 51xx? Because my machines are definitely labeled
DECsystem, but are equipped with framebuffer and so, and were used as
DECstations. Never looked what Ultrix tells me, but it is for sure labeled
DECsystem 5000/133. It uses those 80pin-SIMMs, the same as in the Personal
DECstation series.

> >> I think that depends mainly on the speed of the RAM. [...]
> > They all were 80ns. This was my first thought also, but i verified it :)
> Don't forget that my modules were not from DEC, they were made by
> Kingston. Possibly Kingston made some hacks to get the modules working
> in bouth machines.

The Kingston modules from my 76 were the ones not running in the 4000s.
I think, my 4000s are equipped with original DEC. But ok, never traced it too
deep to find the difference.

...Michael

--
visit http://www.bsdfans.org/   Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD
Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX OpenStep MacOS and 230V AC