Subject: Re: couple of OT things, hardware related
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/21/2001 21:08:22
Probably a bit more appropriate for the classiccmp@classiccmp.org list,
however since you asked here...

At 11:27 PM 6/21/01 -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>first, i may as well say this here so that everyone can share the wisdom.
>
>remember back when NetBSD Bob was asking about TK50 tapes that were
>"sticking"?
>well it just happened to me as i was using my TZ30.  the TZ30 is the perfect
>drive to have this happen in.  the flywheel is exposed out the bottom, so it's
>very easy to get at to spin by hand.  very nice.  although it doesn't want to
>load this tape anymore, but that's ok, i made a tape using this thing (with a
>known good tape, the current tape is known problematic) and it worked great.
>so far i'm much happier with this thing than i am any TK50 i've ever used.

Yes, the TZ30 is nicer. There is a "trick" on TK50s that the drive spindle
has a phillips head screw on it that you can get to from the bottom of the
drive when it has been removed from the chassis. Stick a cordless drill in
there with a long phillips head bit and you can get the tape rewound.

>onto the questions.
>
>i need the pinouts for the following cards so i can make cables since i lack
>any cables at all.  also, are any of these supported by NetBSD?
>
>DUV11-DA

High speed synchronous serial card? No idea.

>DLV11-J

Standard 10pin DEC console cable. Same as a VAX uses only 4 of 'em. :-) Ok, ok
Pin
  1      UART Clk (in or out)
  2      Signal ground
  3      Transmit Data +
  4      Transmit Data -
  5      Signal Ground
  6      INDEX (no pin)
  7      Receive Data -
  8      Receive Data +
  9      Signal Ground
10      +12V through fuse when using -KA (current loop)

Connect pins 8, 3, and 2 for your standard 3 wire RS-232 cable.

>DRV11

Which one? The basic DRV11 (M7941) is a 16 pin parallel port (and I've got
three on a VAX that I'm rigging up to light up lights-n-switches :-)
(Secret project: Run a PDP-8 emulator on a VAX, using DRV11's to emulate
the front panel with real lights and switches. Film at 11)

J1 is output, J2 is input.
J1 pins C,K,NN,U,L,N,R,T,W,X,Z,AA,BB,FF,HH,JJ are OUT0 through OUT15
         LL - REQ A
         VV - New Data
         DD - CSR1
         P  - INIT
J2 pins TT,LL,H,BB,KK,HH,EE,CC,Z,Y,W,V,U,P,N,M are IN0 through IN15
         S - REQ B
         C - Data Transfer
         K - CSR0
         RR,NN - INIT
CSR0 and CSR1 are outputs, you can use them to externally "decode" four I/O
ports, REQ A and REQ B are available to generate interrupts from your
device, DATA Transfer and New Data Ready are used to signal your device
that either your input has been accepted or that there is new data to read.

>also, i have a KDF11 (11/23 CPU card) that i'd like to stick in something and
>use.  what type of memory goes with the KDF11?  i have a single MSV11-DD card
>and some third party card that looks like memory, but i can't quite tell.

That should work. M8044-Dx modules. Make sure they are on the Q slots of a
Qbus not the C/D slots.

>that's all i have to ask, thanks!!

Enjoy,
--Chuck