Subject: VAX Wanted
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Harding <iharding@pakrat.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/19/2001 06:54:29
I saved my VAX from a dumpster.  I was a participant in the crime of
replacing a VAX system with a Windows system, and in part to atone for
that sin, I salvaged this old VAX and revived it with NetBSD.  While it
has been very entertaining and educational, and has provided me with
tape backup for my i386 machine, I am getting really jealous looking at
all the Vaxen that will actually run X and have enough memory and
storage to run modern apps at reasonable speeds.  Mine is a very old
MicroVAX 3100 (m20 I think).  It has 8MB of memory and 525 MB storage.
It is painfully slow and runs out of storage fast.

Is there anyone out there who has a more capable smallish VAX that they
would donate or sell cheap to a fellow NetBSD VAX afficionado?  Short of
that, recommendations of models and configurations that would be good
for a very low traffic web, email and database server would be great, so
I can know what to look for on Ebay...

I am in Tacoma, Washington.

Ian