Subject: Ducking VMS to get more BSD play.....(:+}}...
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/2001 10:15:49
> > well, my plan is that i need LAT support for the DECservers, so i need
> > one box to handle that, and i absolutely, stubbornly refuse to run that
> > dreck of an OS called Ultrix.  i adamantly refuse.
>
> hey! what is so bad about ultrix!?!?!? ultrix is a nice unix!
>
> writing this from an ultrix box,
> isildur

I use an old Ultrix when rolling TK50 tapes.  It always just seems
to roll them a little more cleanly (timing bits etc methinks).
Ultrix is just a slightly confused BSD, but it is essentially BSD.
That is its saving grace.  It has your LAT support, etc.  The manuals
are pretty good generic BSD references, but take up a good 6 feet of
shelf space.  If you don't install everything including the kitchen
sink on it, it is prettly lean and mean.

Aside... how does one properly set up both an mfm and esdi controller
on an MVII critter?  I want to get both TK50 and floppy drives up,
plus use a 750mb and 300mb esdi drive and a couple of 100mb mfm drives.
I am assuming switches need to be twiddled somewhere or will it just
plug and play (pun intended).

Bob