Subject: Re: How do I get VMS (ducking now)
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/12/2001 10:22:52
> > Here's the deal.  I've got a Vax (VS3100M76), and I've been messing about
> > with NetBSD on it, which has been a lot of fun.  Now I'm curious about VMS.
> > I've got SCSI drives in stacks, I figure I can drop one in a case and swap
> > back and forth and learn stuff about both.  I know that I should be able to
>
> VMS (in my limited experience so far) is completely foreign.  gets some docs.
> it operates in a manner that is completely confusing to the average UNIX user.

AMEN!

Why, in anyone's right UNIXY minde, would they want to scribble:

FOO:IS:A:SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC:EXPIALIDOCIOUSLY:LENGTHY:AND:STRANGE$PROCESS

when our beloved

foo

would do?

(Running hurredly for cover and seeing if he can find the old dusty,
 musty, rusty, 'net Flak Jacket.....(:+}}...)

I tried it one time, and gave the machine (a 3520 which the BSD's
and Ultrix did not support) away to a VMS freak.

Another friend has horror stories of trying to get the licensing to work
correctly over time.

But, hey, good Luck with it.....(:+\\...

Come back to the BSD's, QUICKLY!....(:+}}...

Bob