Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/2001 16:57:34
On Thu, 31 May 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> > > Only connect one, the other is for redundancy in conjunction with a dual
> > > HSC system.
> >
> > Ok.  ISTR^H^H I know both were connected when I got it.  So, plug in one,
> > push the corresponding button [AB] on the front.  Anything else?  Can two
> > VAXen talk to one drive, (one mounted RO), or does it have to be an HSC?

> > > be
> > >
> > > No.  Is there a sequencing cable/plug on the back?  Won't go without it.
> >
> > Got one on the RA82.  Didn't see anything similar on the '92, tho.  But
> > the '92 boots.
>

> Woops??? What's that? You can only hook a single SDI drive to a two
> board KDB50 controller gear? This sound's a bit of a waste! Did I
> misunderstand something?

I think so.  There are four SDI ports on the back of the controller card,
and the prom called out du0 and du3, so I'd guess it'll support four
drives total.  There are two SDI ports on the back of the RA-82, and (IIRC)
two others, presumably the sequencing jacks, with one little dohockie
plugged into one.  I didn't move it from where it's at.  I also didn't see
a similar thing on the back of the RA-92.  Maybe I should take a closer look.

> > > find a
>
> In the manual. But the list is short, so here goes:
>
> CSA1 - TK70 tape (don't seem to be able to use this as DEFAULT boot,
>        it bitches about "unknown type of device", but you can use it
>        in a direct boot command.)
>
> DU - disk
> MU - tape (yes, your TU81 will be MU)
> ET - ethernet