Subject: DSSI Drive Enclosure
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/2001 19:08:53
Hi,

I've more or less resigned myself to the idea that finding a drive
enclosure is practically impossible.

But, I suspect it might be possible to build one. Ribbon cables,
connectors, shouldn't be a problem. PSU shouldn't be that hard to sort,
power connectors for the drives I've not looked into, but it can't be that
hard to sort.

The only problem I can think of is a cable to connect it to my MV3300,
which has a connector for an external enclosure (should it have a
terminator plugged into it - cause it doesn't) that looks almost like an
inverse of an external scsi connector.

   -----------------------------
   | \:::::::::::::::::::::::/ |
   -----------------------------

The o's appear to be circular pegs, used to locate a connector. The frame
of the connector is solid metal, and the pins inside are pretty close
together. It looks quite a lot like that (the pins are arranged in two
rows like ::::: not .'.'.

I figure if I can get hold of a suitable connector/cable, then I can build
myself an enclosure to hold drives :&)

I've got three RF30's ATM, and only two fit in my MV3300, which irritates
VMS, as part of the system is missing. I'm also hoping to get my hands on
another drive soonish for tinkering with other things.

Oh, and possibly the pinout for the DSSI drive connector that goes to the
system control panel would be nice, then I could have nice switches and
connectors on the front :&)

All thoughts welcome :&)

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html