Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/2001 15:52:59
> > > Does anyone know the magic buttons to push to make a RA-82 talk to the
> > > controller?  Both SDI ports are connected to the controller.
> >
> > Only connect one, the other is for redundancy in conjunction with a dual
> > HSC system.
>
> Ok.  ISTR^H^H I know both were connected when I got it.  So, plug in one,
> push the corresponding button [AB] on the front.  Anything else?  Can two
> VAXen talk to one drive, (one mounted RO), or does it have to be an HSC?
>

> > > out the '92 (I think), but this's got me stumped.  Can the two ports
> > be
> > > bonded together, for twice the thruput?
> >
> > No.  Is there a sequencing cable/plug on the back?  Won't go without it.
>
> Got one on the RA82.  Didn't see anything similar on the '92, tho.  But
> the '92 boots.

Woops??? What's that? You can only hook a single SDI drive to a two
board KDB50 controller gear? This sound's a bit of a waste! Did I
misunderstand something?

> > find a

In the manual. But the list is short, so here goes:

CSA1 - TK70 tape (don't seem to be able to use this as DEFAULT boot,
       it bitches about "unknown type of device", but you can use it
       in a direct boot command.)

DU - disk
MU - tape (yes, your TU81 will be MU)
ET - ethernet

That's all.

> > A long while.  Better bet would be off the TU81.
>
> I see an MU0 off the BI bus.  Would that be it?  I forget which card it
> was plugged into tho.

Yes, that would be it.

-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine