Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/2001 15:45:42
Robert F Schaefer wrote:

> > Those fans! Those darn fans! Seems like the weakest link in the
> > whole machinery! You should be happy that your VAX' blowers still
> > work, I have 3 dead ones out of 6, thats a chance of 50%. I hope
> > that Brian's blowers work.
>
> I need to check 'em both pretty good.  There's a slipping/squeeling sound
> when I apply power.  I havne't *watched* the rear fan spin up (but I have
> stood behind it with the door open...)

That squealing sound seems normal, I have that too. As long as it
goes away after a few seconds, I wouldn't mind. However, do make
sure to actually watch your rear blower start up. The thing is,
if it doesn't, the wind from the front blower will still make it
turn (though a bit slower.) Standing behind, you should not feel
a lot of air comming *out* of the blower. All air is supposed to
blow into your face and around your neck :-).

> It'll still boot, it just keeps the fault light on the whole time.

That's not pretty :',

-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine