Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/31/2001 14:01:58
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert F Schaefer" <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
To: "Gunther Schadow" <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc: "NetBSD port-vax" <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 10:48 AM

> I finally got everything to POST.  There was a little troulbe with the
> KLESI, but after I turned on the TU-81+, it cleared up...

Yes, that's normal.

> dead-short sound I heard?  I'm pretty sure it *was* a dead short.  In
the
> little fan that points up towards the bottom of the 9track.
Fortunantly,
> it was at the end of enough 18 gague wire that it couldn't draw enough
> juice to trip anything.  Maybe it's just the bearings locked up or
> something.  I unplugged for now.

IF it's siezed, you can probably fix it by dismantling and a bit of
lube.

> Does anyone know the magic buttons to push to make a RA-82 talk to the
> controller?  Both SDI ports are connected to the controller.

Only connect one, the other is for redundancy in conjunction with a dual
HSC system.

> out the '92 (I think), but this's got me stumped.  Can the two ports
be
> bonded together, for twice the thruput?

No.  Is there a sequencing cable/plug on the back?  Won't go without it.

> > > I don't know any of the device names, like csa1. Know where I can
find a
> > > list?
> >
> > you need the manual, I'll see if I find our bulk scanner so I
> > can make some copies for you. Other possibility is: ask your
> > source of hardware for the manual (and by that way for other
> > manuals too!!!! like the KDB50 manual, the KLESI-B manual,
> > etc.)
>
> I don't know if I replied to this-- I'd love to have some manuals.
The
> critter came to me without any paperwork at all, so I'm flying blind
for
> the moment.

A long while.  Better bet would be off the TU81.

Cheers

Geoff in Oz