Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 21:18:40
On Tue, 29 May 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Robert F Schaefer wrote:
>
> 8 cards, let me guess:
>
> 2 x XBIB (not mentioned in SHOW all), leaves 6 cards
>
> 1 TBK70, leaves 5 cards
>
> 2 KDB50 set, leaves 2 cards (you only need one such set for both drives,
>   you can attach up to two more drives to it.) (I bet only one of those
>   cards will be mentioned in SHOW ALL, though I don't know for certain.)
>
> 1 KLESI-B (TU81), leaves 1 card
>
> 1 DEBNT, leaves 0 cards
>
> right :-)

Well, show conf reports
KA62B
MS62A
DWMBA/A
DWMBA/A

DWMBA/B
DMB32
DEBNA

DWMBA/B
KLESI-B
KDB50
TBK70

I finally got everything to POST.  There was a little troulbe with the
KLESI, but after I turned on the TU-81+, it cleared up...  BTW, the
dead-short sound I heard?  I'm pretty sure it *was* a dead short.  In the
little fan that points up towards the bottom of the 9track.  Fortunantly,
it was at the end of enough 18 gague wire that it couldn't draw enough
juice to trip anything.  Maybe it's just the bearings locked up or
something.  I unplugged for now.

Does anyone know the magic buttons to push to make a RA-82 talk to the
controller?  Both SDI ports are connected to the controller.  I figured
out the '92 (I think), but this's got me stumped.  Can the two ports be
bonded together, for twice the thruput?

> > I don't know any of the device names, like csa1. Know where I can find a
> > list?
>
> you need the manual, I'll see if I find our bulk scanner so I
> can make some copies for you. Other possibility is: ask your
> source of hardware for the manual (and by that way for other
> manuals too!!!! like the KDB50 manual, the KLESI-B manual,
> etc.)

I don't know if I replied to this-- I'd love to have some manuals.  The
critter came to me without any paperwork at all, so I'm flying blind for
the moment.

> > > Once you have the boot path allright and you hear the tape being
> > > accessed, you seem to be O.K. I could imagine it would take quite
> > > an hour just to be sure.
> >
> > I figured it was a blank tape... ;)
>
> Hmm, sounds unlikely if it takes so long. Should drop out
> earlier. Does it actually seek on that tape? Don't TK70s
> have an END-OF-TAPE marker?

I let it run for a hour or two.  It poped up with `VMS 5.5-2' after five
or ten minutes, but when I finally unloaded it, it didn't have to rewind.
I guess it's hosed.  I tried `save_eeprom' on it, but IDK.

> > > When something like that happens, I try to stick my nose in
> > > as close as possible and when I don't smell anything, chances
> > > are it's still good. EXCEPT for a leaking capacitor, which I
> > > don't know how it will smell if at all. Speaking of the
> > > blind leading the blind :-)
> >
> > No smell or anything.  It was 60 herts, tho.
>
> Oops? 60 Hz is the normal thing, this is what you most likely have
> in the U.S. That's not your problem.

See above.  Locked up fan, or something.

> Good luck,
> -Gunther

Bob