Subject: Re: Chuck, do preserve copies of the BI documentation please!!!
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 12:36:41
Before this gets out of hand ...

I have a copy of these docs. (I wouldn't part with them if I didn't) I
can't sell copies for obvious reasons and Ebay was a bit concerned about
DEC "proprietary" information as well, however I explained that a) these
were for products that are no longer sold or supported, whomever forgot to
shred them when they threw out their BI bus based VAXen is probably
actionable by DEC, if DEC existed in more than just spirit, and copyright
law covers them.

Second, I'm changing jobs and the cost of maintaining my collection has
suddenly become something of a burden. I've got two choices, make it
somebody elses burden or try to sell 'extras' from my collection that might
bring in some revenue to support storing this stuff until I have room
again. I've been doing the latter. I also have some spares in California
that I'm willing to give to someone who will use them, or trade for the
things that are more germane to the central collection.

As everyone on this list should know, I'm very much in favor of keeping
VAXen and NetBSD on VAXen alive. I have never attempted, nor will I, to
make a "living" on these wonderful old machines, however I also won't let
them bankrupt me. I'm guessing the docs are pretty specific anyway in this
case and will be suprised if they go for more than $15. But it is Ebay is
it not?

So if you've read this far, next up on my list of 'spares' to consider
putting on Ebay is a case (10 tapes) of brand new TK70 media (CompacTape
II). $40 + postage to anyone if they want them.

--Chuck