Subject: Re: High speed io on VS3100's, (Re: VS3100 SCSI)
From: Pierre-Michel Ricordel <Pierre-Michel.Ricordel@imag.fr>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 14:18:18
> Direct host adapter to host adapter communication would obviously be best.
> It's time to start wiring a couple of these guys together to see what
> happens.

I wanted to do that some month ago to make a faster link between
a Sun3/60 and a PeeCee.

>From what I have read about this problem I retained that:
-Not all SCSI chipsets can do that: some chipsets are host only
and can not switch to target mode (they can not raise an interrupt
for something initiated outside). Only dirty polling can fix that.

-For chipsets that can do that, it needs a deep rewrite of the
scsi controller drivers (not just the generic scsi driver :
each chipset driver must be rewritten).

That's why it is not widely used around (think: PeeCee).
But on the VAX side, there are few different SCSI chipsets,
so maybe it is worth doing that. The first thing to do is to check
if the hardware can do that.

PM