Subject: High speed io on VS3100's, (Re: VS3100 SCSI)
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Stephen Bell <steve@discus.lincoln.ac.nz>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 15:32:24
Hi,

Although, this would work, given the speed of the vs3100 SCSI would it
end up any faster than the 10Bt?, does the data need to be physically
commited to disk or would the disk cache operate as a "shared memory"
interface.?

I've been working on an FPGA design for a 16bit bus link between
unibus/qbus <-> ISA bus (The early prototype in discrete logic
managed something like "hheelloooooo wwwrrllllddd" ).
The FPGA design allows some extra complexity to provide
synchronisation between the two machines using hardware
interupts, avoiding the need for this to be handled in software..
It sits between a DR11C on the DEC side and a 16bit io card on the PC
side.

Have 2 VS3100's and would be quite keen to look into
anything that gets max I/O between a VS3100 & the world.

Was thinking more along the lines of finding a rom/eprom socket
that I can steal some address space from, preferably something common
to several models. Any ideas??
Presumably most eproms use less than 100% of the address space allocated
to them.

Cheers,
  Steve