Subject: Re: Making use of the CI bus as IP data link ...
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 22:20:00
Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > So, I could imagine using CI as a link layer for IP just like
> > Ethernet. Anyone ever tried that or knows otherwise that it
> > cannot work?
> >
> Yes, it is supported in Ultrix and works well (we have used it for
> several years). It runs about 70Mbit with an MTU of around 8K.

Yes! Cool. Now you do use the star coupler as a hub, don't you?
Are all 4 CI connectors used for a single VAX-to-starcoupler link?
If not, and if a crossover VAX-to-VAX link would be physically
possible, one could build sort of a ring network where every
VAX connects to two neighbors and all do link-layer bridging.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine