Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 21:27:38
Robert F Schaefer wrote:

> Can anyone give me (or tell me where to find) the rundown on the various
> buttons and switches on a 6310, ra[89]2, and tu81+?  After hearing about
> Gunther's 6430, I'm inspired!  Also, are there documents showing the
> compatability of various CPU cards, RAM and whatnot?  As in will any XMI
> RAM card work in my 6300 and how hard is it to turn it into a fire
> breathing MP monster?  ;)

Well, how different can a 63xx console be from a 64xx console? Do
you have two key switches with three positions each? One reset
button and 6 additional indicator LEDs? If so, I could send you
excerpts of my 6400 user manual or answer questions. It's really
not very exciting at that point.

Upper key switch:

Standby - only memory is powered
Enable  - CPU and BI bus powered up
Secure  - everything powered up and console and reset button
          locked so you can't stop it.

Lower key switch:

Update - use when changing the console and boot settings and updating
         EEPROM
Halt   - shut down OS run and go into console mode
Auto   - automatic boot when powered on or reset. Requires you to
         define a default boot device (SET BOOT DEFAULT ...)

The extra indicator LEDs are simple. It's true, don't worry about
"FAULT", just plug in a console terminal to see what's going on.

You have about 10 commands to play with in terminal mode. You can
see what devices you have and can save and update EEPROM from
and to tape. Need writable tape for that (I need to do the
bulk erasing of TK50 tape tomorrow so I can use it with TK70
to write EEPROM.) It is exciting at first, but gets boring
after a while. Get something to boot from :-). Watching the
red green and yellow lights during self test is kinda fun
though, especially when the processors elect the boot processor.

You have a TU81? Lucky you. I watch out for one too. Sounds
like fun.

Question: if you put a KDB50 card set into the BI bus without
cab kit and power up, what do you see? I see only two tiny red
LEDs lit on the T1002 card, nothing at the T1003 card and no
yellow LED on either of them. Since it will take me a while to
get my cab kit and drive to test things out, I would *need*
to know if at least the cards are working thus far. Could
someone please try real quick? If those cards appear not
to self test properly, I have a reason to return them for some
other set that includes a cab kit. (For example, my CI card
set had at least one yellow light even without a cab kit
in the back. ... DON'T rip out your cab kit, only swap the
boards to a free slot to test.)

Thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine