Subject: Re: RXV21 with 5.25 floppy
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 23:12:48
On 28 May, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> Great! Half done! Congratulations!
Half done? For a kernel hacking guru like you.

> There is a clash in device naming, rx is RX33/RX50 on MicroVAXen.
I know. Some weeks ago I turned a generic PeeCee floppy drive into a
RX33 and had fun making a NetBSD/VAX bootable floppy on my MV III. Of
course it was not that usefull, as it contained only /netbsd.gz, /boot,
/sbin/init and /bin/sh. But it worked. :-)

> I would call it "rf" for the floppy station and "rfc" for their
> controller.
OK.

And here comes an ohter question: How to deal with the 128 byte (SD) or
256 byte (DD) sectorsize? Does NetBSD support non 512 byte / sector
disks at all? Must the driver perform some internal translation? (Like
the firmware of a CDROM drive, when it is set to 512 byte sectorsize.) A
quick look at disk(9) didn't gave me an answer.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen