Subject: Making use of the CI bus as IP data link ...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 21:00:23
Hi,

while I'm waiting for material to get on with my VAX project I
have some time for musings. Don't want to keep anyone from doing
good work though :-)

I found a blue coax cable in the trash at work. Looked like new.
About 7 or 10 mm thick in a roll of 1 ft diameter. Probably about
5 ft long (all estimates.) It has an inward-threaded connector
at each end. I can actually screw those on my CI bus connectors.
From what I heard, I imagined a CI cable being a big pipe of
at least 1 inch diameter, was I wrong and I do have a CI cable?

I know I would need a star coupler to do anything useful with
this, right?

However, I'm not eager to run an HCS as I don't really want to
build a cluster around common storage. Instead, I was wondering
about other uses of the CI bus. I heard it is pretty impressive in
terms of throughput, so would be a waste if it ended up unused.

And since a 100-TP Ethernet card does not exit for VAXen, I wonder
whether one could use a CI bus as a data link layer for IP? Not
having any documentation about it I can't really say how, and not
even having a working machine (yet) it certainly is all theoretical.
But I wonder that this super CI link technology is not put to more
interesting use than just sharing mass storage (and if built with
RA80's one can hardly even speak of "mass" anymore :-).

So, I could imagine using CI as a link layer for IP just like
Ethernet. Anyone ever tried that or knows otherwise that it
cannot work?

My CI interface has 4 connectors "A" and "B" for each
input "->0" and output "0->". Will one connection to a star
coupler use all four of those or only two? How absolutely
certain is it that one cannot make a direct link between two
machines without a star coupler? Like you can make a direct
link between two 10/100-TP ethernet ports with a crossover
cable? One would simply cross the input connector of one machine
over to the output connector of another machine and vice versa.

Does one have access to the physical layer with the CI
adapter cards or is one confined to the MSCP? I could imagine
that the MSCP implementation of the CI controller has all kinds
of built-in autodetection features that would refuse a direct
link between computers, or even any communication between
computers on the data link and network layers. If so, it will
not work. If, however, there is a way to bypass the MSCP or
circumvent any auto-sanity-enforements, one could either implement
IP over raw CI data link or IP over MSCP.

insane thoughts?
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine