Subject: Re: uVAX 3100/30 NIC woes
To: Tyler Mitchell <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: peckerwood <peckrwood@usa.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 03:20:53
On Thursday 24 May 2001 02:28, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently moved my MicroVAX 3100/30 to a different location in my
> room.  After doing so, the NIC no longer seems to work, giving the
> message:
>
> ?? 001	9	NI 0172
>
> on boot.  As I'm netbooting NetBSD, this is a problem.
>
> I'm using an AUI-->10BaseT transceiver right now; the switch is in the
> correct position, it seems.  I have tested the cable from the hub to the
> AUI transceiver, so I can eliminate that from the possible problem list.

The switch that switches between the BNC connector and the AUI breaks very
easily.  That would be the first thing to check if you open up the box.  The
sliding pads inside the switch stop making contact.  Your options are to
replace the switch or what I did was hard wire the contacts for the connector
I wanted.

From what I remember, there were 4 groups of 3 contacts.  If you connect the
first and middle pad of each group you get one connector active.  If you
connect the middle and last you get the other.  You can do this right on the
switch with the switch case removed so you can avoid taking out the
motherboard to get underneath.  just a small blob of solder is needed.