Subject: Re: Installing on more than one harddisk
To: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/2001 15:41:36
Hi,

[cut]

> >> # mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
> >I recommend:
> ># mount -o async /dev/sd0a /mnt
> >or
> ># mount -o softdep /dev/sd0a /mnt
> >The same for /mnt/usr. This will speed up untaring a lot.
>
> It will also slow you down a lot when softdeps crash your system and
> you have to start over from scratch.  It's not a feature I'd recommend
> to a beginner.
>
> Async may be fine; in either case you're going to need to go get a cup
> of coffee while this runs.

Let's see - I think I let my MV3100 with 4M go overnight, and then most of
the following day. Not pretty at all - relying very heavily on swap.

Plus, running NetBSD on a 4M MV3100, is completely unusable. 8M is fine,
and 16M is nice (which is what I have now)

BTW, if anyone wants a 4M board (the small one with no daugterboard
connectors) for a MV3100, I have a couple going spare :&)

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html