Subject: second hard disk with vs4000vlc
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Norbert Koch <NKoch@gmx.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/2001 14:28:04
Hello.

I try to connect an external SCSI hard disk to a vax station 4000vlc.
This is my configuration:
 1. Internal disk at address 5 (dka500)
 2. External CDROM at address 0 (dka0)
 3. NetBSD 1.5 installed on dka500

I tried the external hard disk at addresses 3 (dka300) and 6 (dka600).

With address switched to 3 and booting from dka500 the external drive is
correctly
identified and configured as sd0. Booting then ends in single user
mode as the partitions from fstab are not mountable (which is correct as
there
are no sd0a, sd0b etc.). Whe I modify fstab to use sd1x instead of sd0x all
is correct. But that configuration only works as long as the external drive
is switched on.

Having the external disk switched to address 6 strange things happen:
NetBSD prints this:

  cd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: ... <-correct

  probe(asc0:1:0): max sync rate 6.25MB/s
  sd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <QUANTUM, LIGHTNING 730S, 241E> SCSI2
0/direct fixed <== ?
  sd0: 699 MB ... <- should be sd1!

the above lines are repeated three times for targets 2,3,4 but _always_
reporting the same drive!
Then I see:

  probe(asc0:5:0): max sync rate 6.25MB/s	<== this should be the address of
the internal drive
  asc0: SCSI bus parity error
  asc0: STATUS_PHASE: msg 112
  panic: asc0: invalid state: 6
  Stopped at   _ncr53c9x_intr+0xb17:  cmpb  0x69c(r6), $4

Ending in the kernel debugger.

Doing a ">>> show dev" correctly finds dk0, dka500 and dka600 so I
do not think I have a hardware configuration problem. And the
termination should also be correct as the wiring is the same for
the working configuration with external drive address switched to 3.

Any idea?

Should I configure the kernel for not auto-probing drives but instead
giving the drives fixed positions (hoping that the kernel configuration
allows this)?

Or does NetBSD not correctly identify any of the scsi settings for the
drive?
(BTW I first tested the drive connected to a DX2/66 running FreeBSD with
adaptec eisa controller
 and saw no problems)

Best regards,

Norbert