Subject: Re: The unbearable lightness of BSD (Re: New guy...)
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2001 20:42:29
> > If you compile a tailored NetBSD kernel for a VAX it will not be so much
> > bigger than a 4.3 kernel, and it will consume much less memory when you
> > are running than 4.3. You get a bunch of benefits, like an effective VM
> > system, much faster network I/O and so.
> >
> > The size of a 11/750 kernel for massbuss disks, ethernet and dz11:
> > # size netbsd
> > text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
> > 420884  15876   125064  561824  892a0   netbsd
> >
> > The same but also with massbuss tapes and interlan ethernet from 4.3BSD:
> > # size vmunix
> > text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
> > 322372  99224   112044  533640  82488   vmunix
> >
> > (note that text+data is almost the same size on both of them).
>
> Interesting.  Do you have these figures for an MVII?
> My machines are at home, so I can't get to them right now, but
> I will try to do that over the weekend and report back.
> My stripped MVII kernels were about 4x different in size
> between 4.3BSD and NetBSD-1.5, if I am remembering correctly.
> I am wondering if it has something to do with particular
> i/o subsystems, like the scsi bits?

SCSI is not included in the kernel unless you have something that uses
scsi generated in :-) (Why do you thing config exists? :-)

Anyway; a MV2 kerbel out of -current with support for 2 uda ctrlrs,
ra disks, rx floppies, dzv11 and deqna ethernet:

# size netbsd
text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
427588  16700   125028  569316  8afe4   netbsd

This shows that it is a little bit bigger, around 10k.

-- Ragge