Subject: Re: VAX kernel options
To: John <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2001 09:46:36
> Hello, all,
>
> Could someone please help me to understand what these kernel options are
> for?
>
> What instructions? Relevant for which CPUs? (I have a 4000/60)
> #options        NO_INSN_EMULATE # CPU does not lack some hardware instructions.

Almost all CPUs lacks some instructions, so unless you know for sure that
you have all instructions you should leave this uncommented.
(The 4000/60 are missing some insn's).

> Then what is this, and what is the status? What is outputted to the status
> LEDs?
> # VAXstation diagnostic LED (experimental)
> options         LEDS

The system load a'la Sun :-)

> And, finally, where would these instructions ever be used?
> "Code to emulate the POLY{F,D,G,H} instructions is missing."

In libm. but that text is out-of-date, enough of polyd is implemented
to make libm work.

-- Ragge