Subject: Re: VAX 6420: what KDB50 cabling? RA91 anywhere?
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2001 10:02:03
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lord Isildur" <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
To: "Gunther Schadow" <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 10:06 AM

> (my TU78 is taller than me and is _liquid
> cooled_ and consumes over 3 kilowatts!

Eh???  My TA/TU 78 pair were power hogs to be sure, but they are not
liquid cooled.
The TA79 is virtually identical but it isn't either.  I think you may be
confusing all the air/vaccuum tubing with cooling, it isn't, everthing
on these is air driven, even the motors run on compressed air.

> looks cool but you dont want to run it!

Probably the best description ever of a Tx78.  I did actually run mine
when I first got it, looks very nifty.
I still have 2 TA79's, which were slightly better, but same basic
design.  One day I might get adventurous and
fire it up, but the Tu81+ is lots easier.....

<snip>

> unless you have old tapes to read or you _really_ want a blast from
the
> past, i wouldnt bother with 9tracks. You can barely put 50 megs on a
> reel.

250mb actually. (mine can do that density anyway)

Cheers
Geoff in Oz