Subject: VAX 6420: what KDB50 cabling? RA91 anywhere?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/2001 22:38:38
Hiho,

no news from the sparkling electricity front yet but the weekend
is near :-).

As I indicated earlier, I have found a KDB50 T1002+1003 pair for
only $40 at a retail dealer. It's even got 30 days warranty -- just
that I might not be able to test them within those 30 days :-(
What this shows is two things: (1) prices get down and (2) making
an offer for the price you name can be woth a trial. I also
found pricing very market-oriented. I.e., you can get those CI
bus cards very cheap but will pay a fortune for an XMI SCSI card
(if you can even find one.)

For those KDB50 I am afraid there are no cables shipped with those
boards, so I'm seeking advice on what is needed, where possibly to
get them or how to make those cables yourself? Also, I've been
searching for the RA91 drive and didn't found anything, not even
with retailers. Where might one get that from?

Finally, we do have some reel tape lying around my office and
I'd like to use it. What kind of reel tape drive is usually used
with VAX 6000s, how connected? Is it worthwile or are those bad
and flaky? How much capacity does such a reel have? I have never
seen any of those drives on eBay in the last 3 months or so that I'm
watching this.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine