Subject: Re: VAX VECTOR chip, what part number?
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/23/2001 09:54:41

> Does anyone know whether the NetBSD kernel and libc actually
> uses those cool CISC instructions you get on the VAX, like
> INSQUE and REMQUE and all the string stuff and mutex stuff
> etc.? Would be a waste if we'd use queing routines programmed
> in C :-)

insque/remque are used to manipulate the process queues, yes.
scanc/skpc are used by the ffs code.
movc3/movc5/locc are used for memcpy/memset/strlen (bcopy/bzero/...)
ffs is just ffs(3).

libc only uses a few of them because there are VAXen that do not have
them in hardware that gets extremely slow if those isns's are used...

-- Ragge