Subject: Re: VAX VECTOR chip, what part number?
To: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/23/2001 03:21:18
"Carlini, Antonio" wrote:

>         >put out some controversy, I found reading DEC stuff relatively
>         >unpleasant, and I like to read technical specifications. There's

>         Having said that my 1987 edition does not seem
>         to do that for the instructions I looked at.

Put an old shoe in my mouth or whatever. I shall not pout without
getting the facts. I shall not ...

I just looked again and indeed it's not nearly as annoying as I
made it sound like. No, I'm taking everything back and ask
your forgiveness :-). My memory was biased with some VMS
documentation that I had to wade through earlier, but thank
goodness a VAX is not the same as VAX/VMS :-)

I *would* like to get more documentation on my machine though.
And I would like to learn the gospel of the nexus, that Lord
Isildur gets so excited about. Does anyone maintain an archive
of these things? I would like to read more stuff on that.

Does anyone know whether the NetBSD kernel and libc actually
uses those cool CISC instructions you get on the VAX, like
INSQUE and REMQUE and all the string stuff and mutex stuff
etc.? Would be a waste if we'd use queing routines programmed
in C :-)

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine