Subject: Re: First boot of VAXStation 4000/60
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/2001 17:40:23
On Tue, 22 May 2001, Michael Kukat wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2001, John wrote:

> > After the machine was running for a few minutes, though, I did hear an
> > interesting but short set of sounds; now my diagnostic LEDs are resting
> > with 7, 6, 5, 4, 1, and 0 on, with 3 and 2 off.
>
> The sound is one of the last tests of the 4k60, so i think you have a running
> box waiting for further instructions or trying to boot from somewhere ;)
>
> for the pinout of the serial port, look here:
>
> http://www.bsdfans.org/pinouts.php
>
> With a correct adapter it sould talk to your PC. Never made my own
> cable, but with the official DEC adapters, it works with every serial
> port i found near my VAXen, no matter if it is a PC, a terminal
> server, a Sun or a SGI machine.

Is it maybe a dip switch issue?  I know with the VS3100s you have to set a
switch to enable the printer port as the serial console.  I believe
there's something similar for the VS4000/60, but I don't know where the
switch is located, how it much be set, or which serial port it enables as
the console.

-brian.