Subject: Re: First boot of VAXStation 4000/60
To: John <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/2001 23:44:56
Hi !

On Tue, 22 May 2001, John wrote:
> After the machine was running for a few minutes, though, I did hear an
> interesting but short set of sounds; now my diagnostic LEDs are resting
> with 7, 6, 5, 4, 1, and 0 on, with 3 and 2 off.

The sound is one of the last tests of the 4k60, so i think you have a running
box waiting for further instructions or trying to boot from somewhere ;)

for the pinout of the serial port, look here:

http://www.bsdfans.org/pinouts.php

With a correct adapter it sould talk to your PC. Never made my own cable, but
with the official DEC adapters, it works with every serial port i found near
my VAXen, no matter if it is a PC, a terminal server, a Sun or a SGI machine.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.