Subject: Re: firing up the VAX 6420 :-( ... :-) ... :-(
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Paul Thompson <thompson@mail.athenet.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/2001 07:58:46
On Tue, 22 May 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

I can't recall any more how long the fault light stays on.  It's been
about two years since I last had my hands on a 6000.

Your configuration might influence whether the light will go out as well.
For example, if you have a CI card and it does not detect proper
termination from a star coupler this could conceivably cause the fault
light to stay on and really there is no problem.

> yes, but how long does that take? And will this ever succeed in
> autoboot mode without a useful device to boot from? Guess I should
> have put the switch into Update mode.

You mean enable mode?  Update is for firmware updates (from memory) enable
allows you to halt the boot with CTRL P.

I would not worry excessively about the fault light until you can get
back to the point of the power coming on and then troubleshoot why you're
not getting console output.  The fault light won't help with the power and
it really won't help diagnose hardware faults without the console output.

One the power is back, my first step in troubleshooting the console would
be to get a rs232 tester (or hook your oscilliscope or other fancy gizmo's
on to the transmit and recieve) and make sure you have your DCE/DTE
questions resolved.

> Do you have a 6000? How long is your fault light on if in autoboot
> without a bootable media anywhere? And how do you connect to the
> terminal port?

Your 9600 should be the correct default setting for the console.

F   E   D   C   B   A   9   8   7   6   5   4   3   2   1   0   NODE #
    A   A   .   .   M   M   M   M   .   P   P   P   .   .       TYP
    .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   E   E   B   .   .       BPD
    .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   E   E   B   .   .       BPD

    .   .   .   .  A4  A3  A2  A1   .   .   .   .   .   .       ILV
    .   .   .   . 128 128 128 128   .   .   .   .   .   .       512 Mb

?002D For Secondary Processor 5
?0054 EEPROM revision mismatch.  Secondary processor has revision 2.00/3.00