Subject: Re: VAX VECTOR chip, what part number?
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/2001 04:50:45
On May 22, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> >  I looked very hard for the VAX Vector Facilities board set a few
> >years ago...they seem to be made of unobtainium.  I'm a BIG fan of
> >vector processors (got three Cray vector machines in my machine room)
> >and I'd KILL to get my hands on one of those board sets.
>
> Hehe, the computing centre here has a VAXvector processor board in
> a show-case (amongst all other sorts of rusting metal, right above
> some 12" (or so) platters with headcrash filing marks), accumulating
> dust and getting derisive looks from the typical Wintel users
> strolling by... :)

  Anyone know the vital statistics of that board?  Specifically, I'd
like to know the data formats it supports, the number and depth of the
vector registers, and the performance in MFLOPS.  I'd also like to
know if it can do vector chaining and whether or not its operation is
synchronous or asynchronous to the main VAX CPU.

            Thanks,
            -Dave McGuire