Subject: Re: VR262 quit on me
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/2001 09:49:25
Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com> writes:

> If those leads don't get you to fixing it, it's time to get the
> multimeter out to play the somewhat dangerous game of "see where the
> power stops in the deadly high-voltage circuits of my monitor."

Hehehe...

Actually, there may be an easy solution.  I've had my hands on two or
three dead VR262s, and I fixed all of them in the same way.  There's a
high voltage circuit board, which I seem to remember sits vertically
on one side of the tube (it's been a while), and has a thick copper
wire coil on it, the ends protruding down through the board, and
soldered there.  The board seems to be wave soldered, and the amount
of metal in that coil causes it to be incompletely soldered -- a
"cold" solder joint.  Touching up the soldering on the ends of that
coil got each of those VR262s working again.  Of course, I took the
opportunity to adjust the monitors for focus &c, and they ended up as
good as new.  The VR262 is a great monitor when properly adjusted.

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.