Subject: Re: It rained another VAX on me... will NetBSD run on it?
To: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/17/2001 10:51:46
> > Twas a fine rain dear Bob, you are now in the position of a KA660,
> > the indomitiable VAX 4000/200, fastest CPU you can use on
> > an unmodified Q-bus backplane. Quite the haul for 5 bucks.
>
> Dammit! Why are there never things like that in the UK - or at least, if
> there are, why do I never hear of them :&(

Well, I have been plying the surplus channels for 30 someodd years,
for electronics, including computers.  It is the only way I can play,
relatively inexpensively.  What you need to do is work up a network
of locals that are willing to share info on this and that surplus
bits here and there.  Locally, there are about half a dozen guys that
seem to know where the bits are.  It pays to network with them.  They
are mostly into the biggie suns and that sort of thing, so I lap up
the scraps.  Two important sources are your local MooU surplus group
and your local (in the UK dunno what) state (county maybe?) surplus
group.  Then, check around big biz and corporate entities that you
need to get in touch with their ``computer'' persons.  Networking
with folks in the know is the way to go!  That is how I was one
of the few grad students with their own card punch....5 buckeroos
de realme, in MooU surplus, many, many moons ago!

Local Network is the Key, ......(:+}}... LAN LAN LAN

Bob