Subject: Re: It rained another VAX on me... will NetBSD run on it?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/16/2001 18:20:37
> 4.3BSD box, since it is a lot of fun, and runs blindingly fast.
> It would be fun to get it up on the 4000 cpu, but the support may
> not work well (are the 4000 cpu's directly upwards compatible with
> the MVII KA630 CPU?).  Using ESDI drives on the 4000 might be
> interesting.... any gotchas there?

the esdi drives will work find. getting 4.3 on a KA660? probably not any
time soon. If i had some time free from work i would be more actively
hacking KA680/690 support into 4.3tahoe (reno to follow after) but alas, im
stuck with too much other stuff to do at the moment. KA660 support
shoudlnt be too tough after the 680/690 was fresh in my mind, and i do
have a ka660 TM for reference. dont hold your breath though.

> I looked at the drive bus cabling in the BA215 and it appeared to be
> nothing but a straight 50 pin run, EXCEPT that the terminator is a
> folded arrangement rather than linear (?) as on HD50 scsi?  I need
> to check that to be sure, but I think other than that, it should work
> fine.

you might want to just chop it off, stick a normal 50pin connector, and just
put resistors in the last disk in the chain.

> VAXentoyz are fun.....(:+}}.....

oh yes!! :)

happy hacking,
isildur