Subject: Re: It rained another VAX on me... will NetBSD run on it?
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/16/2001 18:15:19
everything in it except the processor shoudl be supported by ultrix (more
or less). Ultrix does support DSSI.

arent the memory boards just MS650s?

On Wed, 16 May 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> What CPU's will work with these ram boards?  Any gotchas in backplanes?
>
> Is there some combo of boards I can wheedle together to get NetBSD or
> Ultrix up on the backplane/case?  Or, is it mostly a function of
> finding that proverbial mystical magickal lustful Qbus scsi board?

it is a normal Qbus backplane, you can stick any other qbus machine into it
too

> Heaven forbid, but, can I take the MVII boardset and stuff it in
> that backplane, and dongle/cable up ESDI drives internally to get
> my 4.3BSD breadboard VAX stuffed into some sort of cabinet?
>
> Is it possible to use the dssi bus cabling as ordinary scsi, IFF
> I I only use two internal scsi drives, and remove the terminator
> plug, terminating the last drive on the drive?  It seems to be
> only a straight 50 pin cable, otherwise.

the cabling, as long as it's straight through and doesnt go through
any logic or anything (who knows what's hidded by the backplane) should be
usable. if this is like the BA440 though, with a board with plugs that the
disks connect to, i woudlnt be too confident in it working (and i woudlnt
want to find out by losing a scsi board to it! who knows what would
happen! ) but if its just a cable, yeah, 50 pins is 50 pins.. :)

> Is this cabinet one of those with the hard-to-find cable for input
> power, that has the strange extra groove?

well, check, those were not very common. the groove is only an indicator that
it is meant for a high current feed cable. nevermind it, find a regular
cable, get a knife, and cut a groove into the plug :)