Subject: Re: It rained another VAX on me... will NetBSD run on it?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/16/2001 22:50:12
Hi,

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:

> Twas a fine rain dear Bob, you are now in the position of a KA660, the indomitiable VAX 4000/200, fastest CPU you can
> use on an unmodified Q-bus backplane. Quite the haul for 5 bucks.

Dammit! Why are there never things like that in the UK - or at least, if
there are, why do I never hear of them :&(

> Its #2 on my target list for DSSI support after I get the 3300/3400
> working. (and between the power woes and general economic depression
> that has hit Silicon Valley this has not been "high" on my list :-() The
> KA660 uses the SHAC controller which has some minimal support from Ragge
> in the 1.5 kernel.

So I had heard someone mutter about DSSI support for the 3300/3400 (I got
a 3300 a few months back :&)

I've never done any kernel hackery - but I keep telling myself I'll get
into it. :&)

Maybe this summer (after I get these 2nd year uni exams done - last one in
1st week of june - than all free! :&) I figure netbsd/vax would be a good
place to start.

(BTW - someone said I should have the prize for most emoticons in a post -
I guess I do use smileys a lot)

--Matt